Chambers & Chambers Wine Merchants is a fine wine and specialty spirit distributor that has successfully operated in California and Hawaii since 1973. We are a goal-oriented company, passionately representing ‘best in class,’ family-owned producers and are looking to employ passionate, business minded people. Located in Napa, CA.
The successful candidate will have a big heart and the drive to advocate for employees and leadership team while maintaining healthy and respectful boundaries, understanding that tough conversations are an integral part of the job.
The Human Resource Director will be responsible for collaborative development, management and updating of all HR policies and procedures. Will oversee payroll administration and manage the payroll assistant, delegating and training where appropriate. Will manage employee benefit programs and support all managers and staff with HR related issues. They will ensure compliance across the board by maintaining meticulous records with best practices in line with employment law in accordance with Federal/State/City laws and regulations and in line with company policies.
Will also be supportive and instrumental in instilling cooperation, mutual respect and open communication among employees. They will encourage and assist in conducting educational and culture building training or seminars within departments or companywide, when appropriate.
- Collaboratively resolves employee matters at all levels through consultation and coaching, including policy interpretations, and conducting appropriate investigations. Always following up and keeping records of any outcomes.
- Creating and maintaining templates for job descriptions, offer letters etc.
- Manage and update Onboarding checklist
- Champion and implement diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives with support from the Leadership team.
- Assists the President and Leadership team in maintaining the Company’s culture and philosophies – questioning and constantly improving as things change.
- Leads all open enrollment initiatives: coordinating with benefits broker to conduct employee communication sessions – ensuring information is disseminated equitably and opportunities for questions are provided. Collecting and completing all enrollments.
- Manages new enrollments and all staff communications regarding Health Plans, Life/Disability insurance and 401k plan; delegating to Payroll Clerk as appropriate/needed.
- Manual entry of yearend “true up” calculations and audit of vendor invoices prior to payment.
- Coordinates meetings with benefit vendors and research/disseminates information to leadership team for appropriate action (premium changes, coverage changes and renewal strategies).
- Actively oversees and maintains PTO program in accordance with state and local compliance, to be delegated to Payroll Clerk as needed/appropriate.
- Partners heavily with 401K provider and administrators to ensure accuracy of transferred data on a semi-monthly basis.
- Maintains, tracks and updates 401K portal with employee information (eligibility, terminations, funds rollover etc.).
- Generates annual reporting and distribution of 1095-C forms
- Conducts regular training/education on all benefits – medical, 401k, employee wine program etc.
Employee Advocacy and Experience:
- Assisting Hiring Managers as needed in updating and developing job descriptions and generating offer letters.
- Overseeing job posting and initial screens by Payroll Clerk, training and adjusting as needed.
- Heavily partnering with leadership team to develop, implement and update all HR policies, procedures and form.
- Collaborates with Management staff to develop and monitor Performance Improvement Plans and collects all documentation associated.
- Works with Leadership, Management team and Office Manager to create company events, acts of appreciation, birthday acknowledgements etc.
- Conducts salary and benefit surveys at all hiring levels and compiles results with narrative for Leadership Team review (how often?). To include salary ranges and typical annual merit increases depending upon position within salary range.
- Stays current with all laws and regulations (EEOC, Safety, OSHA, FMLA, CFRA, DOT, DMV) and revises existing handbook and keeps revisions current moving forward
- Initiate and track Worker's Compensation Claims, maintaining involved parties well informed on work status, and duty modification.
- Processing Employee Terminations and preparation of all documents and conducting voluntary exit interviews.
- Execute all HR policies, best practices, and processes to ensure legal compliance with regulatory standards and legal obligations governing employee practices, labor laws, global business practices, audits and charges from regulatory agencies like EEOC and the OFCCP and state and local agencies.
- Coordinates data collection and paperwork related to ACA benefit reporting requirements, open enrollment, 401k administration, COBRA and other initiatives as needed.
- Follow company policy for record retention, maintaining an index of stored files with destroy by date and storage location – delegate, but continue to oversee, to Payroll clerk once clear system has been established.
- Maintain HR Calendar with compliance dates and other important checkpoints
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and diligence.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of and experience with varied human resource information systems.
- Knowledge of Microsoft 365 systems strongly preferred
- 5+ years HR leadership experience
- Proven progressive leadership experience required
- Deep understanding and knowledge of CA and HI employment laws, workers compensation process, benefit enrollment process and payroll compliance laws
- SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) or SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) certification preferred.
Chambers & Chambers offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package including health insurance, a 401(k) plan, paid vacation and rewarding work experience. Qualified candidates should submit their resume and salary history. Only qualified candidates meeting the above criteria, including submission of salary history, will be contacted.
Chambers & Chambers is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status. San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
**This position is not eligible for relocation.
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.