Château Angludet is situated at the heart of the prestigious appellation of Margaux surrounded by two Cru Classé properties (Château du Terte and Château Giscours) and at the junction between three communes – Arsac, Labarde and Cantenac. The name Angludet, meaning ‘angle of high land’, dates back to 1150 and was named after Bertrand d’Angludet, a knight and lord of the noble residence. It is one of the oldest estates in the Medoc.
During the 18th century, the estate was highly regarded, and its wines sold for very high prices. Unfortunately, it was divided up among four heirs in 1791 and fell into disrepair. For this reason, it was not included in the 1855 classification of the vineyards in the Médoc, even though the wines had once sold at a level that would have indicated Angludet at a 4th or 5th growth quality. The property was then reunited in 1891, and the quality level quickly rose so that it became one of six Château granted Cru Bourgeois Exceptionnel status in 1932.
The vineyards once again fell into disrepair in the 1940s, and the property was sold to a new owner in 1953, who began a replanting program until these efforts were wiped out by the harsh winter of 1956. Due to financial difficulties, the property was then sold to Diana and Peter Sichel in 1961, as a holiday home for their family. Peter Sichel was a highly regarded Bordeaux negociant and was also the past president of the Union de Grand Crus. He began resuscitating the vineyards in the 1960s, digging up the 7 ha that were still in existence and replanting old vineyards that were lying fallow or had been converted to wheat. The vines began coming of age in the late 1970s, and Angludet is now once again highly regarded for producing wines that often outshine their Classed Growth neighbors, while remaining moderately priced. The Château is still in the hands of the family with Peter’s son Benjamin managing the estate and four of his other siblings working for the family run negociant, Maison Sichel.
|PROPRIETORS||The Sichel family|
(SUSTAINABLE, ORGANIC, BIODYNAMIC)
Since 1758, the vineyard has retained a configuration down the centuries that remains very close to the original. Ninety three percent of the current surface area has nurtured vines for more than 250 years, which is considered exceptional continuity for a vineyard. The vineyard covers a surface area of 32 ha, all within the Margaux AOC winegrowing area and is planted with 46% Cabernet Sauvignon, 41% Merlot and 13% Petit Verdot – average vine age of 25 years. The vines are mostly planted to a single block in the commune of Arsac and lie 2 miles from the estuary.
Angludet is on a plateau (Plateau Le Grand Poujeau) that slopes gently down from 21 m to 16 m from north to south. The soils are gravel based – some parts in lighter gravel with sand, while others in a deeper gravel with clay subsoil. These are poor, highly porous soils which force the vines to develop a deep root system. Angludet 's terroir is exceptionally homogeneous and is made up exclusively of gravels dating from the Mindel glaciation period, which is unique in the Margaux appellation.
Flowering can take place up to a week later than properties closer to the river. Benjamin has kept Angludet at the forefront of the sustainable movement being a pioneer of ecological pest control while also beginning the practice of green harvesting in 1988.